Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lost Treasure, Found! (a fun way to start class)

Most of my teaching career has taken place at my current school, but my husband's job took us away for a couple of years. During that time, I taught at Bulldog High.

There was a really great chemistry teacher at Bulldog High, Mr. S. He was a tough teacher, but the students loved him. He opened every class period with an enthusiastic class chant. If the classroom door was open, you could hear it all the way down the hall.

It started like this:
Mr. S:  Good morning Bulldogs!!!
Students:  Good morning Mr. S!!!
Mr. S:  How are you today?
Students:  Super great and getting better!

The chant when on and on for awhile. Over the years, students had suggested additions and it became a tradition in Mr. S's class. The students loved it!

Anyway, I really wanted my own chant for my class -- but that was Mr. S's thing and I didn't want to take away from its uniqueness. When I left that school, I asked Mr. S to write down the entire chant. I thought I would modify it for myself and start using it, since I'd be in a different school. I was super excited to do this!!!

Sadly, I lost my copy of the chant. Then I forgot it existed . . . until today! The hubs and I are packing up for another move. I found a small box, never unpacked, full of personal stuff I'd packed up from my Bulldog classroom. The chant was in that box!! Woo Hoo!

I am already thinking of how I can use it next year.

Here is the entire chemistry cheer, as written by Mr. S:

Mr. S:  Good morning bulldogs!
Students:  Good Morning Mr. S!
Mr. S: How are you today?
Students:  Super great and getting better!
Mr. S:  How far?
Students:  All the way.
Mr. S:  How much?
Students:  All of it.
Mr. S:  How many?
Students:  6.022 times 10 to the 23rd particles per mole
Mr. S:  What's our favorite class?
Students:  We love chemistry!
Mr. S:  What's our motto?
Students:  Can do!
Mr. S:  What's the truth of the matter?
Students:  The impossible takes a little longer.
Mr. S:  What's the platinum rule?
Students:  If you mess it up, clean it up.
Mr. S:  What's our philosophy of life?
Students:  WE NEVER GIVE UP!!!

So fun! Thank you, Mr. S!

1 comment:

  1. LOOOOOOOOVE. Consider this stolen. I can't wait to see how lame the kids will think I am while secretly enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete