Thursday, March 3, 2011

How To Get Students To Do Anything

It feels kind of wrong to be writing about cookies on my math teacher blog.

But it also feels wrong to post pictures of baked goods without including the recipe.

I don't do much with extrinsic rewards, but students at my school know about my cookies. I've been told that they are the best someone has ever tasted. Better than Grandma's, but don't tell Grandma. They really will do just about anything for one of these cookies. I know this because I asked them. "We'll do anything", they said. One girl added, "except eat bugs". But several others agreed that they would, in fact, eat a bug in exchange for a cookie.

I got this recipe from my sister. When we have a family gathering, she is always in charge of dessert. I should also add that I am only an average cook. The magic is in the recipe:

The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Mix together: 1 cup soft butter, 1 cup brown sugar
Add: 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla
Then add: 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 package instant vanilla pudding (Secret ingredient alert! Use chocolate pudding to make them more chocolatey), 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt
Stir in: 2-3 cups chocolate chips
Bake: 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes

The oreo cookie version was not my original idea. I have seen it multiple places on the web lately. I think you can make them with any type of cookie dough, so I just use my sis's recipe. You just put a scoop of cookie dough on the cookie sheet, top with an oreo and then another scoop of cookie dough. (Three cookies in one!) Smoosh it all together a little and try to get the cookie dough to completely surround the oreo.  Bake according to cookie dough directions, plus maybe an extra minute or two.

I guess some schools have forbidden this type of thing.  Not my school yet, obviously . . . but I am sure our turn is coming. Until then . . . enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment